Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

02 March 2005

And the hits keep coming!

So, I survived the rat incident and then, two nights later, a gecko fell ON MY HEAD! I very calmly picked up a towel and whacked the gecko into pieces. I did the same thing a couple of nights later. The rat has done wonders for my gecko fears! They were only baby ones, but I've gotta start somewhere, right? (Baby steppin' with Bob!...I can SAIL! I'm SAILING!)
And then I noticed at lunch on Sunday that one of my teeth had broken off! Are you kidding me, God? You know my fear of needles, pain, and doctors! What are you trying to teach me? So, I made a dentist appointment...with a Ugandan dentist. I was sure I would die, but went anyway. I got to his office with no trouble. It's cool outside, maybe only 85 today. The office is NOT air conditioned...nothing here is. So, I am nervous (scared to death) and sweating. The doctor was finally able to see me. Niether of his assistants spoke English! That was fun. Dr. Deo finally came in and took a look at my tooth. He said it had broken off because of decay and wondered when I had last seen a dentist. I had a full check up with my dentist before I left! The next thing I knew, the man was saying something about a shot (prick, as he put it) and the words ROOT CANAL came out of his mouth. I started to cry (surely you knew that was coming). That's when God stepped...okay, He was there all along, but that's when He so graciously reminded me that He is in control. He will never leave me, not even at the Ugandan dentist's office. When the tears came, Dr. Deo stopped and prayed for me! Can any of you say that your dentist has ever prayed that you would not be afraid and that you would feel no pain? And for the next hour, he worked on my tooth and I felt NO pain. He ended up not having to do a root canal, but just having to dig and fill. I didn't even feel the shot (usually the worst part for me!). The most painful thing about the whole experience was that he kept pulling my hair when he leaned on it! In the middle of it all, the song "Our God is an Awesome God" came over the speakers. Oh, friends He is an awesome God. Who am I that He should answer my silly cries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home