Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

09 August 2007

Culture shock!!!!

I just realized exactly how long it's been since I've stepped foot in an American high school. I think I'm not in Kansas anymore... It's only 8:35 a.m. and I've already been shocked at the length of skirts/shorts, hair colors, piercings...and the list goes on. I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm coming from a culture of, if you show your knees you are "asking to get raped"...but really, seriously...why do moms and dads not protect their little girls more? What do they think the boys are thinking when they see that much skin? And it's not just school. I've actually GASPED at church when I've seen some girls walk in. Prostitutes in Kampala wear more than that!
I just don't get it....and I don't want to.
My friends used to love when I told fun teacher stories about my students. I think this blog will turn into that. Get ready.

2 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger JasonC said...

You are 'spot on'. I am amazed at the denim belts the teenage girls at churches try to pass off as skirts. I appreciate the props to the struggle guys face.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger JasonC said...

I can top it...
My mom is teaching kindergarden and during some sharing times, one girl had drawn a picture of a girl's head in a well. Apparently, it was based on "The Ring" which the little girl had seen. She also said that her favorite video featured a pimp. This girl is only FIVE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home