Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

07 May 2009

Feria de abril

Last week was Feria de abril...the biggest festival in all of Spain! It happens two weeks after Easter each year. It is a fair that supposedly marks the beginning of the crops season. I'm sure it has little to do with that now, much like the TVA Fair or the Germantown fair have nothing to do with the end of crop season anymore! It lasts a full week and just about everything in the city shuts down. Its CRAZY and crowded and goes all night long. Someone told us it was best to go in the morning. By morning he meant 2:00 in the afternoon. I guess when you stay out all night and then sleep until noon, 2:00 would be morning!
I was amazed by all of the men and women dressed up in flamenco wear. The ladies wear these dresses and put an ENORMOUS flower on the TOP of their head. The men dress in either a coat and tie or this outfit you see these men wearing. The folks on horses and in carriages are the very wealthy. Some Sevillanos say that Feria is just a time for the rich to flaunt their wealth. I can see why they would say that!
I didn't get here in time this year to get a dress. Next year, WATCH OUT!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home