A comparison...
I decided tonight that I wanted to cook. Of course this required a trip to the grocery store since I had literally NO food in the house. (I have been gone a month and a half...but honestly, I never have food in the fridge.) I went at the worst possible time. At the moment I arrived at the store an enormous storm came. It was windy and raining sideways. I thought I could just wait it out in the car but then the hail began. I decided I didn't want to die in a tornado in my car so I RAN into the store. I was SOAKED to the bone. Dripping all over the floor. YUCK. I shopped and went home to unload in the now lighter, steady rain.
While unpacking I began to cook. About 10 minutes into it the POWER WENT OUT. You would think I, who lived in Uganda where I only had power EVERY OTHER 24 hours, would be okay. However, after 30 minutes I was about to blow my top. I had the next four hours to compile this list of why a power outage in Uganda is BETTER than a power outage in Knoxville.
In Uganda...
I usually knew when it was going out and could plan for it.
I had a head-lamp to use for hands-free lighting.
I knew where all my candles were and the matches to light them.
I had a generator the last 3 months...even if I only turned it on to blow dry my hair.
My stove was gas and I could cook by the light of my awesome lantern.
My INTERNET worked for the 2 and 1/2 hours of computer battery I had.
There was nothing on tv to miss.
When I called the power company I got to speak to an actual human...even if he did lie to me about when the power would be back.
I could go to Danny and Claudia's because we had power on opposite days.
The neighbors didn't all come out into the street thinking that the world was ending.
My air conditioner didn't turn off...I didn't have one!!!
I'll stop there for now. I just needed to vent. Why am I so spoiled in America? Which reminds me of one of my other issues...
Why can I eat in and stay in and use the bathroom in the nastiest places on the planet, but when I am in America anything less than perfect freaks me out???

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home