Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

09 November 2008

Houston

As many of you know, I am in Houston this week doing meeting after meeting to be officially on staff with the International Mission Board. On Tuesday night we will be "appointed" in a service at Houston's First Baptist Church. We attended their worship services this morning and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Travis Cottrell did the music. You may know him from his work with Beth Moore. Did I mention it is the church where she is a member??? When I found that out a few weeks back I was excited. I've done enough Beth Moore studies to feel like she's a close friend. I was even a little comforted by the fact that she would be there even if my family was unable to make it. This service is kind of a huge deal and everyone's family and friends come but mine can't since it's so far away. Anyway, having Beth there would be kind of like having family, right? Well, my sister AND my friend, Tish, both emailed Beth Moore to tell her I'd be alone and ask if she could give me a hug. They got replies that said that Beth would be out of the country, sorry. I wasn't expecting to see her but then she walked into church this morning and I about peed my pants! I always want to see celebrities and in the Christian women's world, she's about as big as they get. I sat like 30 yards from her and worshipped with her! After the service several people went and spoke to her but I didn't. I just didn't want her to have to be a celebrity at her own church. That must be hard. But then...we were given a luncheon...and she came!!! While she was standing in line for food, I went to her and before I could even speak she grabbed me and hugged me. I told her I didn't really want to take her time, but just wanted to say thank you for all of the studies and what they had meant to me. I then told her about the emails and she laughed and said she is indeed flying out Monday to tape a new series for Breaking Free and will not be at the service on Tuesday. But then said she'll have to get on to her staff for not telling her so she could look me up at church!! And then she said, "Here's another hug. Count it for your sister." How sweet is that? I only got a cell phone pic of her when she went on stage to pray for us. I didn't get one of us together...and no, Anne, I did NOT get a lock of her hair!

1 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that story. It about made me cry. Have fun! Wish I could be there.

Kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home