Corpus Cristi
Today is a big holiday here in Spain. It's Corpus Cristi...that means "body of Christ". I have asked several Spanairds what they are celebrating and they don't know. It occurs after Easter...they know that. They know it has to do with Jesus' body. They will all gather for huge parades that they bought tickets to sit in chairs for. But I have found no one who knows what the holiday means. They just know that ALL stores will be closed and no one has to work or go to school.
Altars like these were built all over the city center yesterday. You'll notice this one has a huge angel. I am very surprised it is not Mary....maybe she's in the parade. But if you look closely you'll see who the enormous angel is watching over...it's toddler Jesus!!! (This one is wearing clothes. Most others were not...quite distrubing.) I am dumbfounded. Why is toddler Jesus displayed on Corpus Cristi? It has something to do with his death/burial. Do they really not realize he didn't remain a baby forever??? In most statues and pics here, you see huge images of Mary holding tiny, baby Jesus. Otherwise, He is on a cross and she is crying. I want to tell them that she is crying because they are worshipping her, but I'll keep that to myself for now.
It is truly heartbreaking. So much "religion" and no sign of truth anywhere.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home