
So, a few weeks ago while the BDBCers were here, I stopped to pick up some of the girls from the Baby's Home (aka orphanage). The gate was closed, so I had to pull to the side of the road. When I did, I put my front tire into this ENORMOUS ditch. (Why do we have such huge ditches, you ask? During rainy season it really rains and even these deep ditches overflow.) But anyway, I tried to back out of it...no dice. So I sent the girls to a nearby gas station. About 10 seconds later, 5 guys come running to help. One takes my keys, the others start pushing. Within an instant, the car is back on the road! Viola! And how much does that cost? Just a mere 5000 shillings! (That's about $2.50.) In America it would have taken a hundred bucks, a tow truck and an hour of my life. You gotta love Uganda!
4 Comments:
chris, as skinny as you appear, i'm glad you didn't fall in that hole... you would've been lost, never to have been seen again... speaking of seeing you again... I CAN'T WAIT! LOVE YOU!
have fun in it'ly!
Reminds me of a time when I was part of a human jack when the tire on a pickup truck at Brackenhurst needed changing -- about 7 Kenyans and me held the truck up while someone else quickly changed the tire.
Bob Allen
CESA Reg Office
Then the African guy mumbled to his friend, "Stupid white girl drivers."
His friend replied, "4th one this week."
Christy that's not a ditch, that's a sink hole. You could go spelunking in that thing.
Post a Comment
<< Home