What a let down.
Okay, so yesterday I hosted "His Excellency, the President" at my school. I never dreamed how unimpressed I could be. I've never met a man who seems to think so highly of himself.
The day started with me arriving to the gate of campus at 7:00 since I had lots to do to make sure all was ready. I was stopped by his security men...as were ALL of the staff and students. We had been told there would be no interruption to our morning. By the time they let us in, it was 8:15. School starts at 8:00.
The day was hectic with all the "little" preparations that no one had bothered to tell us. For instance, he's cutting a ribbon, where are his special scissors? And where is the tray to put them on? And where is the cloth to cover the tray to put the scissors on? No, that won't work. It must be white!! And so on. It was ridiculous.
The Pres. was to arrive at 1:00. We were told he is often 2-4 hours late. We prayed. Do you know what it is like to be cooped up with little kids trying to have school and wait for the pres. at the same time? Those poor teachers!
So, he finally arrived at 2:20...only 1 hour and 20 minutes late...we were thrilled. It was my job to give him a personal tour. The man said maybe 5 words during the 30 minute tour. He barely acknowledged anything I said. Just a slight grunt from time to time. We went to each classroom where the kids had been instructed that they must stand and greet him by saying, "Good afternoon, Your Excellency." I heard it so much and saw him react so little that I wanted to vomit.
The only comment he made to me was, "Where are you from?" I said the US, he said, "Where in the States?" I said, "KY". He said, "Now what state is KY in?" I informed him that it was it's own state and really wanted to add, "And it's bigger than your whole stinking country!" but I thought I'd better not. There were a lot of machine guns around.
So then, we went for the speeches. The man fell ASLEEP through most of it. Then he got up to speak and said, "I'm glad you all are Christians. I'm a Christian. I believe religions are good. Muslims are good. Christians are good. God isn't a Muslim or a Christian. He's just God. All religions lead you to God so they are good. " I sat there thinking, if this were anyone else, I would walk up to the mic and take it away from him now! But I decided that the sweet children didn't need to see me jerking and convulsing as the machine guns fired on me. It was very sad. Pray with me that President Museveni will learn the truth. All religions may lead you to a god, but it is only the blood of Jesus that leads you to the One, True, Living God!!!!
An election is coming up in March. We have the children of the man who will run against Pres. Museveni. There is much talk of riots and the possiblity of us (missionaries and whites in general) having to evacuate during the election. Please pray for the safety of our kids and peace in the country. This man has been in power since his take over 20 years ago. He's done good things for this country. He's brought peace (except in the north). But if I've ever shaken hands with a dictator, I believe it was yesterday. I should probably shut up before "they" read this and cart me off to jail for disrespecting His Excellency. They do that here, you know!

3 Comments:
Glad I didn't have to meet him.... But what a cool story! You're famous. :)
christy!! hey i was just wonderin if you had gotten any of my offline messages?? I've been praying for you and I love you bunches!!...my yahoo s/n is Meredith_Reynolds20!!
How dare he disrespect Kentucky! I hope I never have the 'honor' of meeting him! And his wife is a believer? The sad thing is the average person here doesn't even know anything about him or what he doesn't stand for. I get so sick of corruption!
Post a Comment
<< Home