Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

20 October 2005

Seriously...

Okay, so I've told you that the pres is stalking me...here's the latest.
Yesterday after school I was in a meeting with one of the men who is running against the pres. in the election in March. (His children go to my school as well as the children of another man who is running!) Almost as soon as we started our meeting, I noticed 2 women come into the main office and sit down. I went on with the meeting. It lasted an hour. When it ended, I walked the man and his son to the front door. On the way, he noticed the two women who were still seated in the main office waiting for me. He was extremely cordial to them and told me about a charity that one of them runs. He introduced me and left.
I took the ladies into the office to talk to them about children that they want to enroll at Heritage. One's child is only 2 so she assured me that he will come when he turns 3 (we have Play Group for that age). The other has a child who is 9. We talked about the school. I asked them how they had heard about us...their answer was vague..."we just heard". I went over fees with them. Talked to them about whether or not the child speaks English (they were Ugandan) and other ususal things. Now that I look back on it, they seemed amused with some of my questions...especially the one about speaking English and the info about fees. After about 20 minutes of me telling them about the school, we set up an entrance test for the child. One gave me her number so that I could confirm with the teacher who does testing. Today, I called the lady, Natasha, and set the time for the test.
Well, guess why they were so amused at my questions!! I found out this afternoon that Natasha (the one with the two year old) is Pres. Museveni's daughter and the other (whose son is coming tomorrow) is his daughter-in-law!!! Boy do I feel like an idiot!
So tomorrow, do I apologize for my stupidity or just keep acting like they are nobody? Why didn't anyone tell me?!!!

6 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger JasonC said...

Require name tags, i.e. "HELLO, My name is:_____________. I am the relative of _____________ (insert prominent figure).
Or hire smart local help.
Or get a perm with blonde highlights so no one will recognize you.

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christy, do you remember Daniel Maxwell from youth group? He has a friend who is studying for a foreign services career. So far, he has worked in Russia, Georgia as well as some other Baltic states and is currently studying for his masters at Pepperdine. We've forwarded your question on to him for any insights he may have regarding diplomacy in Uganda.

Debbie Buckner

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should ask them if they have any connections with those nice people at the mortgage broker's association. Now that would be helpful.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Christy said...

anonymous, now that's funny! I am STILL trying to get that money back. I've all but told them that I'm going to starve if they don't return my money. They're working on it though. Who knew it was this difficult to be charitable?!

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger JasonC said...

Christy, you sure carry a smart-alec-y posse with you.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Christy said...

jason,
your mom's a smart aleck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home