Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

02 October 2006

Going away gift

This is by far the COOLEST, FUNNIEST, SWEETEST thing that has ever happened to me.
Yesterday was my last day at church here in Uganda. I went up front to say goodbye to the congregation (goodbye is a really big deal here) and while I was speaking, I noticed a CHICKEN wrapped up and sitting on the floor. I looked to see whose chicken it was and saw that it belonged to Jajja (the grandmother down the street where Sarah teaches). I go with Sarah on Tuesday nights to Jajja's place. She speaks NO English, but loves me anyway. (I'm the only muzungu she knows.) She refers to me as her daughter. I immediately realized that Jajja brought that chicken (live chicken, btw) as a gift to me!!!
Now, if you know me at all, you know I am terrified of chickens (thanks Mother). And if you don't know me that well, just look at my face and the distance between me and said chicken in this picture!
Anyway, after the service, Jajja brought the chicken to me (Sarah promptly grabbed it to save me from freaking out). She had Sarah tell me, "I didn't have anything to give my daughter who is going away. But I had this chicken." You all, do you realize what a gift this is? Jajja lives in a mud hut with one room and a dirt floor. She owns a bed and a chair and a chicken. She gave me her chicken. My cup runneth over.
 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home