Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

09 January 2009

My jjaja


One of my favorite moments of the trip was getting to go to Soweto, the very poor area of Kampala that is filled with mostly refugees from the war in the north of Uganda. This is the area where I spent most of my ministry time. It was great to see some of the ladies that had attended the Bible study/traing that Rebekah and I had done. If you remember much about my time in Uganda, you know that one of my favorite people was this tiny jjaja. I swear that she looked just like ET when she threw her hands in the air and danced while praising. Anyhoo, while I was speaking at this house church meeting, in she walked. I couldn't help it. I stopped in mid-sentence and announced that my jjaja was coming. Everyone cheered and laughed about how excited I was to see my jjaja! At the end of the service, she came and started speaking to me in Luganda just like she always had. She just rambles on and on like I understand her. I don't think she realizes that I don't. When someone finally translated for me, I realized she was showing me the Bible that Rebekah and I had given her after she learned some verses during our training. She was just as proud of it today as she had been the day we gave it to her. The memory of her holding it above her head as she danced in a circle and shouted to the Lord will forever be one of my favorite memories. She had never owned her own Bible and she can't read, but she was and still is so proud to have her very own copy of God's word. She realizes the treasure that it is.
As a side note, the elderly man who also attended faithly died a few months back. They told me that he went looking for medicine one day because he had a headache. Later, they found where he had sat down and died. I am thankful to know that he was saved and that I will one day worship alongside him in heaven!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home