Music that transcends time, culture, language, age...
On my way home tonight (I came in early...it's only 11:15) I passed by the church and plaza that I always have to walk by to get home from the bus stop. At this time of night there are children out playing while their parents are eating at the bars surrounding the church. It's funny, you don't see a kid out playing all day long, but at 10pm when the parents come out to eat, there are kids EVERYWHERE!
Anyhoo... as I was walking by I noticed that the oldest looking child (maybe around 9) was doing some Michael Jackson-ish dance move. At this point I tuned into their conversation. These 6-9 year-olds were discussing "el rey de pop" (the king of pop) and how no one will ever dance like he did!
Moments later I rounded the corner near my building and I heard a car coming down the street blaring a familiar song. There was a 30ish man in the car alone jamming out to "Funky Cold Madina".
Some music is just universal.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home