Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

18 December 2005

Introduction ceremony

I finally got to go to an introduction this weekend! Our pastor, Benon, is getting married. Before you can get married here, you have to have an introduction. It's like an engagement party, but very formal and the bride and groom don't even get to speak to each other or sit together. Here is Betith entering. She is in the third pair of girls who have come in to be "looked at" by the groom. He is told to choose wisely and must finally choose his bride from among the women he is offered. Then he has to give gifts to the family...and by gifts I mean he must PAY for his bride. This generally involves goats, cows, food, and lots of money. It was a very old-world experience. For all practical purposes they are now married. However, since they are Christians, they must now have a Christian wedding before they can actually live together. Oh the ceremony of it all! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home