Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

05 December 2006

What is next?

As I have traveled around catching up with old friends and speaking in churches, the burning question on everyone's mind is: What's next? The only answer I can give is: I DON'T KNOW! This week, I was reminded of a story that I love about a man I can identify with. I think his story is something like mine. Let me share...
If I had to pick a favorite person in the Bible (other than Jesus, of course) I would pick Peter. I would pick him for lots of reasons...his bold personality which later translates into a bold ministry would be number one! I love the story at the end of the book of John about when Peter asks Jesus, "What about John?" and Jesus basically shuts him up with a "What's that to you? YOU follow me!" But before that is the scene I'm talking about today. It's after Jesus has been crucified and has appeared to the disciples. They are all sitting around (without Jesus) wondering what the heck they should do now when Peter up and says, "I'm going fishing." (The others follow...bold personality=persuasive guy) But I often wonder why Peter went fishing. Remember that Peter was a fisherman before he met Jesus. I think he went fishing (back to life before following Christ) because he didn't know what else to do. He had no direction and no leader (that he could see anymore) and decided he'd better get back to work. So he went back to what was familiar.
This week I have a job interview for an Assistant Principal job in a small town in Central KY. I don't know what else to do, so in the meantime (while waiting for God to send me somewhere cool) I'm going back to what is familiar. I've decided that I'm probably not going to stay long so I want to be near my family in KY. This job would be about an hour from Dad and an hour from Sis. It sounds perfect. But can I tell you the truth? I am secretly hoping (not so much of a secret now that it's on the blog, huh) that Jesus is going to show up and tell me what to do next. That's what He did to Peter. After a long night of fishing and catching nothing, Jesus showed up and changed Peter's life all over again. If you get to the next book (Acts), you see what a bold preacher Peter became. In his first sermon, 3000 people got saved! That's what I want. I want Jesus to show up at this interview (or shortly thereafter) and ask me to feed his sheep like He did with Peter.
Will you pray with me? I, like Peter, am impatient. I want to get up and do something instead of waiting on Jesus to tell me what's next. Pray that's I'll be watching for Jesus on the shore. I know He's there...

3 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Blogger JasonC said...

I'm feelin' ya dog!
What a wonderful way of looking at that passage. I have been looking at Hebrews 7 where it talks about Abraham leaving to follow God's command and living in a TENT and waiting for a city with foundations laid by God. To me the tent signifies a temporary place, the ability to be flexible and mobile and move whenever/wherever God leads. Later, we get the permanent city- heaven, not the house with the picket fence and 2.4 kids and the good 401K.

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we will continue to pray for you and your journey down this road of life. I think God has shown you to wait on Him, He will never leave you or forsake you. Praying for you,
Rebekah

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a good friend of mine once said (ahah, Christy Mitchell), "waiting time is not wasted time."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home