Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

09 April 2006

My worst fear happened!

All my life I have had one over-riding fear. Yes, I have lots of little fears: geckos, rats, etc. But above all others, I have a fear of needles. It is on my chart at the doctor's office to lay me down if there is going to be a needle anywhere near me. They know I'll faint. It's a given. So I've told everyone I know, if I am ever in a situation that calls for an IV, KILL ME! I don't want a needle stuck in my arm!
Wednesday morning I woke up at 5 with a horrible pain in my side. I tried to make it go away, but it only got worse. I stayed on the floor writhing in pain for an hour until I started vomiting from the pain. Then I fainted. When I came around I realized that I needed to call someone or I was going to die there on my bathroom floor alone. (Sad and dramatic story, no?)
I called my friend, Claudia, and managed to tell her something was terribly wrong and ask her if she could come. After I hung up, I realized I wouldn't be able to let her in because I couldn't get to the door. I then called Sarah and asked her to come open the door for Claudia and help me in the meantime. She very sweetly came and patted me and waited for Claudia. She also prayed over me.
Claudia came and I asked her to please kill me. She called the dr. instead. The dr. immediately knew that I had a KIDNEY STONE!!!! She told me to come in and let them do some blood work. I didn't want to, but thought I might die if I didn't! I screamed and moaned all the way to the clinic (kind of like an urgent care center back home) and just kind of collapsed in the door when I got there. They took me and put me on a table and started sticking needles EVERYWHERE! Mercifully, the pain shot kicked in quick. Then they decided I was compeletly dehydrated and said I needed an IV. DANG! I begged Claudia not to let them, but I was still in so much pain, I couldn't really refuse. It ended up taking 4 people to find a stupid vein and get the thing going. I spent the day with it in my arm and I didn't die!!!!! Can you believe it?
So, I spent the day with a big, fat needle in my arm getting ultra sounds, x-rays, and lots of blood tests and shots. I hated it, but knew I needed it at the same time. I couldn't keep a drop of anything in me so an IV was my only shot at relief! I slept most of the day. The stone passed somewhere in all that and I went home.
Thursday, feeling somewhat better, I went to work. Why do I feel it necessary to push myself like that? An hour after I took my NARCOTIC pain reliever, I couldn't speak so some folks drove me home. Within an hour, I was back on the floor in pain and vomiting every single time I sat up! In some ways it was worse than the first day!
Anyhoo, the story is way too long and boring. I passed the second one somewhere in the night. I am still sore and my body is trying to recover, but I feel soooo much better. PLEASE PRAY I NEVER HAVE ANOTHER ONE! They say it's the closest thing to having a baby. That just re-affirms the fact that I don't want a baby!!!! Just say no to pain!

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I couldn't be there to hold your hand. Love you, Sis

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having experienced childbirth as well as a kidney stone, I can testify the kidney stone was much worse! My heart goes out to you. Be grateful the stone didn't lodge and have to be surgically removed; that wasn't fun either. So happy things went well for you (all considered). If it's any comfort, I've never had another kidney stone so maybe you won't either.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I wish it was a baby!!then i could have a cousin.But any who i'm glad your ok!!!!!i luve you aunt sissy!abi (your favorite niece)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home