Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

12 December 2006

Counting blessings

I don't know where to start. I had an amazing weekend. God is so good. Let me start with the sweetest part...
I was asked to speak at a small church in a small town in TN. I went with little enthusiasm. I didn't know anyone there (other than the interim pastor who invited me) and it was an hour drive that morning. (More on that adventure another time.) Anyhoo, I went and can truly say that I've never felt more welcome in any church I have ever attended...including my home church. Virtually every person in the church greeted me BY NAME and several women came and sat with me before the service to try to get to know me. They were PRECIOUS! So I spoke and they cried...who wouldn't when faced with the plight of the Ugandan people and the ability of God to change lives despite circumstances?! After the service, they gathered around me and prayed for me. Then they all...nearly all...hugged me and told me they would pray for me. And they took up a love offering. As of December 1, I became unemployed. I didn't know when the next job might come, but really didn't worry because I knew that God was going to take care of it. And oh my, did He! Y'all, that small church who didn't know me at all took up an offering and the amount was about $50 more than my IMB salary!!! You know, I told them the money was not expected or necessary. I tried to talk the pastor out of taking it. But God used those sweet people to provide for me this month. How can I question that?! Praise Him!
Next blessing...
I have been in Uganda the last two Christmases. During both of them I have said that outside of having my family around, the thing that would make me "feel" like it's Christmas is a Mike Bundon/BDBC Choir performance. When I spoke at that church Sunday morning, the interim pastor told me that the BDBC Christmas program was that night. I was able to go and I am quite sure I am the only person who has ever cried through an entire Christmas program! I was overwhelmed. The program was wonderful in and of itself, but just to hear the story of Jesus' birth in song again this year was such a treat. Thank you Mike. Thank you choir. Thank you Macon and trio for singing that song I love to hear you sing! A big head nod to you!
Next blessing...
I got a call back from the interview I went to last week. I have another interview tomorrow. I'm starting to get excited about the possibility of working again! I need to get settled for a little while. A few months in one place would do me some good I think. (Prayer request...I have to tell them at the interview tomorrow that I will be gone for 2 weeks in Jan. Pray they'll hire me anyway!)
So there we have it. I had a great weekend. There's one other blessing too, but I'm going to keep it quiet for a while. Pray that it will develop and I can blog all about it! (Now I've got you hooked!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home