Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

12 December 2006

I've become African...

It's funny how I notice myself doing "African" things from time to time now that I'm home. I still keep pointing with my lips, forgetting to turn on lights, and looking for geckos (okay, that's not African, that's ME in Africa). But anyway, one of the things that is both endearing and frustrating about Ugandans is their lack of attention to detail. Details such as directions and names are just not a priority. So, listen to this and judge for yourself...am I overly Ugandan these days?
I was invited to speak in a church in New Tazewell, TN. The interim pastor is a member of Beaver Dam and he called asked me if I would come. I said sure and wrote down the info about the church that he gave me. That was a few weeks ago. I put it away in my room at Dad's house for safe keeping. And then this weekend, I left for Knoxville...without the info. I thought about calling and getting someone to read the info to me, but thought, "Nah...I'll just find it. How many Baptist churches can there be in New Tazewell?!" (If you are from the area, you know that is funny. There's one on every corner.) So, I got to said town and started looking around. I found the two biggest Baptist churches and couldn't decide which one it was since I didn't remember the name! So, I did the Ugandan thing. I went and asked someone local. I walked into a BP station and said, "I'm speaking in a Baptist chruch here this morning. I don't know where it is. Can you help me?" And what did they ask? "What is the name?" Haha. They thought I was nuts. Who drives to a town to speak at a church and doesn't know the name? What must be wrong with me? Anyway, their suggestion was to go in to each church and ask if I was supposed to be there. The owner even volunteered to drive me around until we found the right one! That's exactly what a Ugandan would do...ride with you until you find it!!! I was right at home!
(BTW, I got the right one on the first try. Whew!)

1 Comments:

At 2:36 AM, Blogger JasonC said...

If you were truly African you would have been at least 45 minutes late.

But it it funny because one of my cross-cultural books starts off with a guy that is supposed to speak at a church asking for directions at a gas station in Africa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home