Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

30 August 2009

God's sense of humor

More than once in the last few weeks I have thought and/or said that I would like to go back to Uganda where life was easy. My friends that I lived with in Uganda are the ones I said this to. They laughed and we reminisced about how NOT easy life was there and how distance and hind-sight make everything seems so much better. If you'll recall, I was sick pretty often while I lived there and I lived in terror of creepy-crawlies daily.
Well, I think God is trying to remind me of that. Not only have I had some sort of head cold/infection type thing for more than 3 weeks now, but last night I walked into my bedroom to go to bed and THERE WAS A GECKO ON MY CEILING RIGHT ABOVE MY BED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not. Would I joke about this?? Fortunately Darby was here spending the night (I took her to the airport to pick up her mom today!!) and she helped me dispose of it. When I saw it I screamed (of course) but then I put on my big girl panties, got the broom, and started trying to KILL it. I found some spray chemical cleaner stuff (it seemed like it was harsh enough to kill small varmints) and sprayed him until he fell down to the floor where Darby was waiting with my trash can lid to scoop him up and toss him over the balcony. Ding dong, the gecko's gone!!!

And that is the story of how God reminded me that life in Uganda was not easy and going back there won't solve all my problems. Spain it is. The end.

2 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger JasonC said...

We had geckos in Thailand all over our apartment building, but for some reason, I had very few in my actual apartment. However, the girl next door had a lot and she would freak out and ask me to come kill it or in the case of the one she accidentally smashed in the door while closing it, scrape it out. But it was my understanding that the geckos would eat the ants, mosquitoes and bugs, so I preferred them over the insects du jour.

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get that game face on, girl!!!!

~ J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home