Homesick

God's word reminds us that this world is not our home. Do you ever feel like a stranger...like an alien...like you're not sure where to park for a while? It's really a GOOD thing. I don't want to be settled/complacent. But why is it so hard sometimes? And how on earth do you explain it to someone?!! Maybe my blog will help you understand. I hope you enjoy.

23 August 2009

My street

Some things about this photo...
1. Someone asked me yesterday if the streets here are crazy. I told them it depended on who you ask. The other Americans here talk about driving here like it is something insane. None of them has ever driven in Uganda, clearly. In my opinion, driving here is very much like in the States. The only difference is that inside the city where I live, many of the streets are one way and very narrow. I live at the end of this one. The other street that passes my house is smaller. There is only room for your car between the half-sidewalks. The sidewalks are even so narrow in spots that you can't walk on them. You have to step onto the street when there is not a car coming.
2. The shop on the right... I have often wondered what it is. It is only open from 11:00-2:00. In this same building they teach flamenco. I can hear it when I am on my rooftop. I assumed this shop would have something to do with flamenco. When I went in the other day I quickly realized it has nothing to do with flamenco...neither dancing nor guitar. It is a graffiti shop. It is where you buy your paints and where you can buy framed pictures of "good" graffiti. I am looking for something to put on my walls. Maybe I'll go back and look again to see if I like any of it. Maybe not.
3. I took this picture at 9:15. It is finally starting to get dark earlier! It doesn't usually get dark until 10:15. That means summer is ending and it might cool off soon. I have even heard that it might rain in the next month or so!! Yesterday it was 117. Today it was hotter, though I am not sure just how hot it got. It was 113 at 1:30 and the temp doesn't peak until 5:00. I would say it was over 120, easily.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home