Heart breaking
I went to a community wide crusade last night for the youth. The speaker is someone they've brought in who is apparently (or WAS, I'm not sure) some famous sports person. Unfortunately, that's what the Halls community is about...sports heroes. Anyway, I was shocked and SHAKEN when he spent an hour telling the kids that they should be reading the Bible because it is the very breath of God, yet he NEVER used his. He read passages to them (not asking them to turn to them) from his PRINTED POWER POINT presentation! Why would the kids listen to you tell them to read "God's love letter to you" if they never see you, the speaker who is telling them, pick it up?!!!
The worst part, however, was when he told them the Bible is the breath of God and in the same sentence said, "It's not like you should panic if you drop it. I've got like 12 more at home." Does that not make it sound so UNspecial? I wanted to stop him right then and tell him the stories of the privilege of giving people their first ever Bible and watching them hold it in the air and DANCE and SHOUT because they understood that it is the very breath of God...and that they now possessed their very own copy! How sad that this man has 12 Bibles at home that he apparently doesn't even use.
I left there so upset. He's speaking to the kids again today and tonight. Pray that God would use him in spite of himself.

1 Comments:
What a joy to give Bibles to those who have NEVER had one!!! I don't ever remember dancing over being given a Bible but I agree with you that it is one of the most blessed things to see them dance and hold it so close to their breasts and say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you" with deep humility. I just bought 417 Bibles this week in 7 different languages because a church in Georgia thought giving Bibles was one of the greatest things they could do. Thank you to North River BC in Roswell, Ga. We love you Christy, from Danny and Claudia...well Claudia..ha.
Post a Comment
<< Home